Sunday, January 29, 2012

Writing

I've been writing all week....... Teeheehee. :) It's probably a bad thing, because that's mostly been all I've done this week, but I've made dinner almost every night, kept the apartment mostly clean, gone to two parties, reported on two games, attended a game, worked, made a birthday present for a friend and watched another friend's baby... So that means I haven't been too bad, right?

I've already got more than 50 pages, which is pretty exciting. Fifty pages of writing is a lot! As is almost 28,000 words. Granted, probably 20 of those pages are from almost three years ago (pre-Jeff era) but.....I'm working on a project that has been put aside for a long time, which is good. :) I have to remind Jeff that eventually I'll get around to finishing all my projects. See?

At the moment I'm in a slight slump, which usually happens when I get really excited about a part that's coming up, but I'm not quite there yet and I don't want to rush into the good part, but at the same time I don't want to drag everything out.... *sigh* It's a hard spot to write, let me tell ya.

My only thing is, I wish I had an audience. :( Like the last time I really wrote a story (excluding the story I wrote for my family this Christmas) I had a couple of friends who basically wouldn't let me get on the bus to go to school unless I had a few more pages of my book. And I could discuss things with them. Not before I wrote it, obviously, but after they'd read a part, I could discuss it with them. That was pretty fun. And my best friend still hasn't forgiven me for writing her favorite character's death. She can't even remember his name, but she hasn't forgiven me. :)

Jeff's way too busy with school. He hasn't even finished my story from Christmas yet. :( Luckily my youngest brother has read it 10 times already for him. lol. (My dad told me a couple weeks ago he read it twice in one day!) My youngest brother is the main character, so of course he loves it.

I've decided, that it's so much more enjoyable for me to write stories that have at least a small bit of fact. Fantasy is a fun genre, so long as it's believable. If people conjure up dresses of gold out of thin air every day and have everything they want because of magic, that's not very believable, is it? I mean, how can you relate to a character who says a word and what they want appears?

Stories also must NOT be written inside of a box. Hate that. If I can't picture the setting because you haven't described it, it's written in a box. Unless it's a real place, and then not as much description is necessary. If it's a place you made up, for goodness sake tell me where the next town is and how long it takes to get to the borders of the land, as well as the climate, or I will not enjoy it. At least include a map, if you won't add scenery description. You know how in some old movies, you can totally tell that the character isn't walking through a forest, but through a studio? And you know everything in the distance is just a painting? That's how I feel without description of the scenery. Characters are important, don't get me wrong, but scenery is the mark of a true writer. Take me there!

Well, that's my spiel on writing. Part of it, at least. I thought I should take a break so I don't get too sucked in to my story. :)

1 comment:

  1. If you really want an "audience" to discuss your work, there are loads of writing groups in the area that you could join!

    ReplyDelete